Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Excerpt from the Kontakion on Holy Theophany, by St. Romanos the Melodist

Icon depicting the great feast of Theophany, Christ being baptized by the Forerunner, and the revelation of the Holy Trinity (source)
  
Excerpt from the Kontakion on Holy Theophany, by St. Romanos the Melodist
God did not despise the one who was robbed by trickery in Paradise and lost the garment woven by God, for he came towards him calling to the disobedient once again with his holy voice, “Adam, where are you? From now on, do not hide from me; I want to see you. Though you are naked, though you are poor, do not be ashamed, for I have become like you. Though you desired it you did not become a god, but now, by own will, I have become flesh. Draw near me then and recognize me, that you may say, ‘You have come, you have appeared, the unapproachable Light.

“In my mercy, I was overcome by my compassion and came to my creature, stretching out my hands to embrace you. So do not be ashamed in front of me; for your sake, naked as you are, I am stripped naked and baptized. Already the Jordan opens for me, and John prepares my ways in the waters and in minds.” The Saviour spoke thus to humankind, not in words but in deeds, and came, as he said drawing near to the river on foot, but to the Forerunner as the unapproachable Light.
  
For more, see the excellent book of translations of the Kontakia of St. Romanos: On the Life of Christ, by Fr. Ephraim Lash.
  
Mosaic from Ormylia Monastery depicting Christ walking with Adam and Eve in Paradise (source)
 
Through the prayers of our Holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us! Amen!

No comments: